Congratulations to our combined Newport-Ballina-Killaloe RFC XV who traveled to Old Crescent RFC this morning for their U14 Conference match. In an engaging, see-saw contest of a match, OC were the first off the mark with a well taken try, converted, to lead 7-0 after 5 minutes. Not ones to hang their heads, our boys regrouped and playing to suit the heavy and wet conditions, they held on the ball through a series of pick and go’s, before man of the match Evan Wood burst through for BK RFC’s first try.
Another one was soon added on by Joe McGrath on the left wing, using his pace to get around the cover after great work by the forwards to create the overlap. BK RFC now led 10-7
OC however didn’t give up, and conjured a try themselves after some good work out wide. OC now led 12-10.
Once again BKRFC knuckled down and Evan Wood scored a lovely individual trademark try after breaking from a scrum on his own 10 metre line, brushing off the OC cover to score under the posts, BKRFC led 17-12 at half-time.
OC were not giving up just yet and after a series of probing pushes they were rewarded with a try, unconverted, to level up the scores, 17-17. The game now ebbed and flowed with both sides creating half breaks and chances, eventually, after a series of scrums and a couple of penalties, as OC strayed offside, MOM, Evan Wood crashed over for his 3rd try. James Frahill converted to give BK RFC a 24-17 lead. Never say die was the attitude of OC and they came back again to eventually score after a series of rucks, 22-24 to BKRFC with the game entering the final minutes. A long kick off saw OC counter but they lost possession out wide, BKRFC then managed a series of plays just inside the OC half, retaining possession and holding OC at bay. Final score 24-22 to Newport-BK RFC.
Well done to all the players from both teams in what was a great contest in trying conditions. Many thanks to Old Crescent RFC for hosting the boys
Our U18 girls played their very first competitive match against Abbeyfeale RFC on the 21st January last. Traveling down to Abbeyfeale, the girls put in a strong and committed performance but were ultimately overpowered by a very good and well drilled Abbeyfeale team.
Final score: Abbeyfeale 38 – Ballina-Killaloe 0
Well done to all the girls and best of luck in the future.
Recent photos of our teams in action
U11’s at Thomond RFC
U15 Girls vs Shannon RFC
U14s and Team-building event in Derg Isle Centre
Ballina-Killaloe RFC are together with Derg Athletics Club the beneficiaries of the 2016 Lough Derg Christmas Day Swim at Two Mile Gate, Killaloe.
Please support this great, fun event on Christmas Day, a chance to shake off those festive cobwebs, and get set to the day itself.
Starting at 12.30 at Two Mile Gate, be sure to get down early.
Ballina-Killaloe U18 Girls traveled to Kanturk RFC on Saturday 3rd December for a friendly challenge match.
Both teams are in development stage and were evenly matched. BK RFC started off strongly, gaining a foothold in the Kanturk half of the pitch, eventually the pressure proved too strong for Kanturk with BK RFC managing two unconverted tries to lead 10-0. Kanturk did not give up, and managed to work their way up the pitch and with a searing line break, scored under posts with a converted try. Not to be outdone, BKRFC struck back immediately to leave the half-time score 15-7 to BKRFC.
The second half was as fiercely contested as the first. BKRFC put the Kanturk line under pressure on a couple of occasions, but good defence saw Kanturk hold off the siege and then manage a try of their own after some good work out wide, closing the gap to 15-12 as the match entered the final quarter. Again BK RFC put together some good phases and threatened the Kanturk line, again, Kanturk repelled the pressure and as the game entered the final minutes Kanturk had possession in the BK RFC half of the pitch, however a good turnover and some quick hands with the ball going out wide to the left wing, Maeve óg O’Leary for BK RFC, made a strong run and eventually handed off a number of Kanturk tacklers to score in the far corner, with the final score ending , Kanturk RFC 12, BK RFC 20.
BK RFC would like to thank Kanturk RFC for hosting the match and they look forward to facilitating a return fixture in the New Year
Our U11’s recently played a blitz in Newcastle West RFC where from 5 matches, they won 4 and drew 1.
Congratulations to all who traveled.
Ballina-Killaloe RFC is participating in the IRFU national prize draw.
All monies raised go back into BK RFC.
Your child’s coach will be distributing tickets over the next week, Please support, a pack of 10 tickets cost €80, (sell 8, keep 2 for yourself).
2016 ‘YOUR CLUB, YOUR COUNTRY’ GRAND DRAW PRIZES:
1. Summer Tour in Japan, June 2017 – return flights, hotel accommodation, match tickets and spending allowance for two persons (compliments of Vodafone)
2. Win a €5,000 Holiday – Holiday voucher worth up to €5,000 (compliments of Ulster Bank)
3. Italy v Ireland 2017 RBS 6 Nations VIP trip to Rome – return flights, hotel accommodation, match tickets and spending allowance for two persons (compliments of Canterbury)
4. 2017 Galway Races VIP Package – Corporate hospitality and overnight accommodation for two persons (compliments of Guinness)
5. Scotland v Ireland 2017 RBS 6 Nations VIP trip to Edinburgh – return flights, hotel accommodation, match tickets and spending allowance for two persons (compliments of Volkswagen)
6. Experience Business Class Service with Aer Lingus – Transatlantic business class return flights for two persons (compliments of Aer Lingus)
7. Wales v Ireland 2017 RBS 6 Nations VIP trip to Cardiff – return flights, hotel accommodation, match tickets and spending allowance for two persons (compliments of The Hospitality Partnership)
8. State of the Art Home Entertainment System – Flat screen TV and surround sound equipment to the value of €1500 (compliments of Aviva Home Insurance)
9. Ireland v France 2017 RBS 6 Nations VIP package in the Aviva Stadium – VIP package including official IRFU hospitality and match tickets for two persons (compliments of Eden Park)
10. Ireland v England 2017 RBS 6 Nations VIP package in the Aviva Stadium – VIP package including official IRFU hospitality and match tickets for two persons (compliments of Lucozade Sport)
Congratulations to our U12 Girls team who played in the Mini rugby half-time games during the Munster – Glasgow game at the weekend. On what was an emotionally charged day for the whole rugby community our girls turned in a stellar performance, running in 4 tries, putting on a showcase of excellent rugby skills.
Well done to all involved!
Ballina-Killaloe RFC would like to express its deepest condolences to the Foley family on the sudden passing of Anthony Foley. R.I.P.
Our thoughts and prayers are with them all at this sad time.
Ar dheis Dé go raibh a anam.
You’re Invited! Official Launch of Clarisford Park Friday 23rd September